Monday, April 11, 2011

LAT the Musical

I've been meaning to blog about this but couldn't find the time to do so.

A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of watching 'LAT' the Musical at Istana Budaya. And boy, was it good! It was funny, witty, engaging, nothing quite like what I imagined. I left the theatre feeling a higher sense of pride for Malaysian productions.

I have LAT comics at home but I’ve never read them. Thus when there was an extra ticket being circulated around in my department at the very last minute, I took it without hesitation.


LAT the musical depicts a little boy who grew up in a Kampung. Times had forced LAT and his family to move to a town. He was reluctant, of course - with all the good buddies he has made in his kampung, and that he had comfortable life there.

LAT is extremely talented in drawing. His ambition was to become a professional cartoonist. He went to school in the new town and made a good friend called Frankie. The teacher noticed his talent and encouraged him to pursue his passion/dream. He became successful in the end, but it came with a price. With all his fame and busy schedule, he neglected family.

But, but... just like any other fairytale, things turned out good in the end. Things fell right into place for LAT in the end, and he insisted that the whole family moved back to the kampung he was brought up. 


Photo extracted from LAT the musical's facebook page.

Key take-away(s) I've gotten from this musical, and also parts which I like best:

  • DWYL, LWYD: Do what you love, Love what you do
  • No matter how powerful the sun is, it has to make way for the moon eventually. It can't be overshadowing the moon forever. (or something along this line....). I thought this saying was so meaningful.

A happy me during intermission time!

It's amazing how a musical can make an impact and part its values to its audience. I had a good time watching the musical, and look forward to more amazing Malaysian productions in the future :) A huge thank you to my company for the musical ticket!

No comments: