Monday, April 4, 2011

Weekend @ Melaka

I've always enjoyed visiting small towns. People in small towns are generally more down to earth, friendlier, nicer. (Note: Generally. Hehe). Also, it's a kind reminder to self that despite having a job, a good life in the city, it's always good to remain grounded.

I spent this weekend at Melaka with the badminton team of the bank. We were enrolled in this warm-up Open tournament, so to better prepare us for the MIBA (the real deal) one next weekend. SRD team was so very kind to organise for us everything - registration of games, lodgistics, budget. Thank you to the bank for covering the budget for us. 

We also were very lucky to have a local Melaka-ian in our team to bring us around for the best Melaka-ian food trail. I always believe that the locals know best. For me, Melaka has always been just Jonker Walk, A Famosa and that's that. This time around however, the trip was fulfilling as I got to learn new things about Melaka - food and culture.

I'm happy to be getting my game back. The last I played a badminton tourney was during the MASCA games last July in Canberra. Good times.
Now, a few pictures to share my fantastic experience in Melaka :)

One of the best seafood I've had @ Duyung, the hawker restaurant by the jeti.

Picking fresh fishes!

Fried Sotong, Prawns, Taufu Bakar, Best Fish ever.

A side note: At the hawker restaurant, I came across a family who can't speak (mute). The only person who can speak is the youngest son. They will communicate through sign languages to the son, of which he will communicate externally to other parties. This came as a reminder to me, and all of us too out there who have all 6 senses in tact, to be grateful for what we have.

Did I also mention that I've found my second favourite liveband after the one in SG?

They sing amazing. First song that came from the female vocalist was 'Bring me to Life' by Evanescance. I was all stunned. Yes, she was that good. The band continued to play U2's 'With or Without You' and Bon Jovi's 'Always'. I decided there and then that I will come back to watch them play again in the future. I'm such a sucker for live bands.

In a nutshell, this weekend Melaka trip was fantastic because:

1) I got to play one of the games I enjoy so much and have passion for
2) I got to experience a weekend getaway with a sports team, supporting one another feels so damn good! Team spirit, all the way
3) I got to experience unconventional, traditional Melaka-ian hawker food
4) I got to witness one damn good live band

I am happy :)

No comments: