Sunday, February 24, 2008

I had a very eventful Saturday! :)

Though I slept at 4 in the morning the night before and got up at 9, I knew I could not allow my lack-of-sleep-thus-i-can-be-grouchy syndrome take control of my day... for I was going sailing! Met up with Foong @ BSC at 10.30 a.m. and we headed to Heng Li's place to gather. Foong then drove us (Heng Li, Ai Li & I) to Port Klang.


Was the sun too glaring for you Foong, till you had to close your eyes? ;)

Boats at Port Klang.

We had breakkie/brunch at the clubhouse before we head out to the river. I took the opportunity to learn the basics of sailing from the 3 of them. Heng & Ai are national sailors and have been sailing since they were very young; and Foong joined them later on. Naturally, Foong is considered a national sailor too I suppose :p

The boat we were gonna sail on was a small one; fit enough for 5 people. And each 5 is assigned to various positions, with given responsibilities and tasks respectively. I will introduce them later in the coming pics... It was my first time sailing and so I had zero knowledge about it(minus the fact that I googled 'sailing' the night before and all I grasped from the net was the wind & energy moves the boat).

Anyway, very important to know is: when we sail, we should head towards the wind, but we do not go against the wind. We must always maintain a good 45 degrees(or so) from the wind direction. To move to the left or right, we call it: Tack. This is applied when we are 'beating' the wind, also known as upwind. On the other hand, when we 'run' from the wind, or also known as downwind, we gybe when we turn to the left/right away from the wind.


Miss beautiful Ai Li, mending the spinnaker


And noob Wei Lynn, tying a knot on the boat


Both of us beside the gorgeous boat 'Eveline'- somehow it reminded me of Pearl Harbour


Mr. Professional sailor Heng Li, me, squinted eyes Foong(who ask him not wear sunnies! ;p)


Introducing position no.1 on the boat- HELM

Well basically, the Helm is supposed to observe the wind direction; and maneuvre the steering wheel of the boat(in our case it was a long stick as it was a smallboat). He's in charge of tacking and jibing the boat, and the boat turns. Helm will always sit at the back of the boat.


Ok his eyes are not closed this time :)


So peaceful... *hearts!*


position no.2- Ariff the Bowsman

Ok, he's called Bowsman because his territory is at the front of the boat where we refer to as the 'Bow'. I can't really remember what are his responsibilities... Lol, sorry!

The sponsor which sponsors the 4 of them national sailors


position no.3: MAIN SAIL TRIMMER

Foong and I took turns to handle this red rope, where it controls the Main Sail(the huge fabric floating). We trim it according to the power of the wind.


Wow, what were we looking at!

I looked like a 'sampat' girl here, with my hair flying up. It must have been the spinnaker/flags which we were looking at. Heng Li was probably giving me Sailing lessons 101 on the boat. He's very patient when it comes to explaining things to noobies like me. He explained to me even when I didn't ask! Hehe nice guy :p


Of course must show off a bit right? :) I was holding...

OMG i forgot what's the rope called and what it was connected to! Ai Li if you're reading this can you please refresh my memory?

There are 2 other positions on the boat: the Trimmer and Cockpit. However, I am not entierly sure of the responsibilities of each. So sorry. I'm still learning!

Professional sailors have their names etched behind their shirts. I am so jealous!

After about 2 hours or more of sailing under the hot blazing sun, we decided to cool down in the pool :p


Hahaha.. Foong acting all strong & macho!!

To be honest, Foong is actually quite strong la. He was my kayaking partner back in OBS 3 years ago.. That's how we got close to each other.. and I'm glad we still remained close after that!!


Nothing beats sippin' watermelon juice in the pool after a tiring activity ;)


Yay us 4, all wet and ready to go back!

Thank you Heng Li & Ai Li for having me join you guys to sail on that day, and for making my first sailing experience a memorable one. To Foong for fetching me home and for being that crazy crapping partner friend all these while :)

**
I got back about 6pm, took a shower.. lied on the bed wanting to take a short nap but to no avail as dinner was at 7.30! It's a pre-planned family dinner. Pre-planned because this dinner had one purpose: to celebrate my farewell where I fly off on Tues. Papa wanted a nice dinner.

I was craving for steak, so Victoria Station it is :)


Shaun and his 'sizzling' steak- thus making him the only one with the neck apron on


Two very important women in my life; love them to bits


The wise man who always looks out for me & only want the best for me, dearest Papa


My main course: RIB-EYE STEAK which I savoured, every bite of it


To end it all, a warm family picture! :)

**
Papa dropped me at BSC after dinner where Hou and Sammy picked me up. We were gonna chill that night, so clubs was a no-no... We decided on this Cuban Tapas and Cigar Bar at TTDI Plaze which Sammy's dad owns, FIDELS. It was a superb choice :)

Specially made cocktails to suit our tastes

Atlantic Blue, Coconut rum Crasta, Boston Beach Party


I love you all- Hou & Sammy


I was admiring these 'manly' posters in the Bar and so I took a pic with it :D

Sammy and I wanted to be a little adventorous and so we headed to the Bar to sit. Our bartender(below) showed us his fabulous-but-very-con-like Straw tricks. Needless to say, Sam and i were very amused. :D


Amir, the mixer of our cocktails and entertainer of the night! ;p


Shots were on the house, by Amir


It tasted so good Sammy and I didn't down it- instead we savoured every sip of it ;) Also because we wanted to cheat Hou and let him down it! Hehehe...


The cool DJ, Atta who played the songs I requested :)

I felt so bad because it was a Cuban bar, and so songs like Santana should be played, instead of the R&B songs that I requested.. Come to think of it, I don't think anyone noticed as everyone was focused on the Liverpool football match on the big screen..

That's how my Saturday went. I dropped dead on the bed the moment I got home. However, I never once complain how tired I was.. because I was enjoying every minute throughout the day. A huge thank you to the sailing crew, my family, and my lovely Sam & Hou. I went to sleep smiling.. :)


1 comment:

Ai said...

Hey haha!! It's called the spinnaker sheets lah!! Lol.

You've got very very good memory, got all the terms and explanations correct!

And glad u had fun. Have a safe trip back!!

(I link u yah?)