Tuesday, September 8, 2009

This is for my kakak :)

I know, I am not supposed to be blogging till after the 14th, right?

But I spent whole of last night watching the TV anyway, when I had an exam today. And I cancelled my work shift tonight, to study, as I hoped I would. But I thought I deserve a rest after the exam, and so I HIMYM-ed and read blogs all the way till now. OK, don't have to rub it in- I am a true slacker and I admit it!

I just read Sammy's blog and I must add, I really really enjoy reading her blog because seeing her so happy living the life she's always wanted- in New York (she lives in Long Island but she always goes to the city i think? lol), makes me happy too. And I can really relate to whatever she's written because I am a HUGE Gossip Girl fan, and I squeal in excitement & delight when I see Sammy visiting places like Times Square, Grand Central, Central Park!

Sigh, one day, I will re-visit the States. The last time I visited? I was just a little 6 year old girl. I can't remember much except for drives along the high way with the family, stopping by at bed & breakfasts. There was this particular chinese restaurant where my parents love and we keep visiting it, ahh I can't remember where and what!

Most importantly, not forgetting the place where my phobia for roller coasters started- Disney Land, Washington D.C. I recall being so excited over the rides and I can't wait to sit all of them. I recall very strongly of this ride- the Indiana Jones ride as I wasn't tall enough for that ride!! I was devastated. BUT, the thing is- in my mind now it's as if I had sat the ride, is my mind playing tricks on me?? On the more bright side, (what with already a pity with my height issues), I made the cut for 'Space Mountain'- a roller coaster in the dark. Funny, that after that ride- my phobia for coasters transpired. Even now in Genting, I dare not sit the Cockscrew. The most daring ride I had after space mountain? was the Cyclone, and after much much persuasion from friends. I am such a coward.

Anyway back to the purpose of this post-

It suddenly just hit me that, my old maid (or kakak as I prefer to call her, it has a more pleasant ring to it don't you think?) has gone back to Indonesia for good. Mummy informed me weeks ago that they replaced her with a Cambodian maid, as my kakak was unhappy. At first I didn't understand why wouldn't she be happy; my parents treat her so nice, never once scold her, bring her out for dinners, gives her gifts for her birthdays etc. And my parents taught her a lot too! Valuable you know these life-long knowledge.

But putting ourselves in her shoes, well I guess she's worked for us for 5 years, and that's a long time. Any human being would feel the same way as she did- bored, and wants to go back to her family back home. And probably in their culture, they want to get married young? In our defense though, she did have an attitude problem. She is a perfectionist- wants everything to be her way and wants to get everything done in the time she wants it to be done. And if she doesn't achieve that- she will just let out her temper on my parents, especially my grandmother. You know, kitchen issues among the women, sensitive.

So before she runs away (she might have), we asked her politely if she wants to go back. And she said yes. She, afterall accepted our offer to extend her contract twice already.

Enough of the story there, gee I feel I am revealing too much, but whatever lah. Anyhow my point is, kakak Umi was a good kakak. She served us well for 5 years, helped us move houses from BU to Idaman, to now T.I. It's no easy fit packing, moving and unpacking! She always makes sure that the house is in tip top condition- clean, neat, and presentable. She cooks every meal for all of us. Heck she is a good cook, learned alot from my grandma! Especially her Yee Min, damn nice. She washes all of our clothes fast, to ensure we can wear them anytime we want. She amends/sews my tops which buttons have come off too. She is very efficient as she will write down groceries we need to buy- and she is quick at the market too.

All in all, I am going to miss her. Despite her not opening up to us, not treating us like part of her family, she after all is still a good kakak, a good helper where she did lessen our burdens in many ways. Like my parents don't have to worry so much about household stuff. And we kids get fed whenever we want to (not sounding spoilt here). Except at times when she got her temper and moods la of course.

*So kakak, I wish you all the best back in Indonesia. (she is super rich now and should be able to buy land in Indo already!! I hope she is wise and not get conned by any men). I didn't get to say goodbye to you as I was already back in Melbourne, but I will send you a postcard sometime. Thank you for being with us and helping us so much in the past 5 years. Take care, much love, Lynn, as how you call me back home :)*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww... YOU ARE SO SWEET!

If i were a maid, I'd want to be yours.

That sounds like a corny pickup line -_-"

Wei Lynn said...

It really does sound like a corny pickup line, sammy! Make good use of it in Amsterdam end of the year.. ;)

I don't know why I get affected by people who are less fortunate than us. :(